A family home offers an alternative for most people who do not want to live alone but do not want to live in a nursing home. Residential homes offer a degree of freedom in addition to the security of having 24-hour supervision in a small safe room. Usually they also provide assistance with daily activities such as cooking, laundry, cleaning, care Special, respite care and transport .
- Contact the state Department of Social and Health Services to meet the requirements for the opening of a family home for the elderly.
- Verify that your home is in an appropriate area to open a family home, contacting zoning department.
- Submit to the necessary training, including a basic or general training course and a food safety management. During basic training you will learn how to protect the health and safety of your residents and careers, how to solve problems between members and residents and how to promote privacy respect, independence, dignity and rights of patients. If necessary, take a course on HIV / AIDS. Most of these tests can be found on the Internet at the website of the Department of Social and Health Services. Performs specialized courses if you plan to serve patients with dementia, mental illness or developmental disabilities.
- Get business licenses and permits as well as required certification in CPR and first aid.
- Contract insurance against fire, theft, home and liability. If you offer them medical services, you should also take out insurance for negligence.
- Prepare home for inspection. Develop meal plans, transportation, admission criteria and activities for your residents. Provide beds will clean facilities as provided by the office of Social and Health Services. At this time you must request the license to create a family home for the elderly.
- Hire a qualified to act on your own if you have to leave home assistant. Hire compassionate and able to cook, clean, transport and administer medication employees. Use a company that controls carefully each employee. Provide your employees the training required by the state.
- Promote your home for adults sending it to the website of the Department of Social and Health Services. Develop brochures to deliver in local hospitals and clinics and ask satisfied residents act as references.